PVC Cables Manufacturing:
A cable comprises two or more wires which are bonded, twisted, or braided
together to form an assembly. The wires and cables are encapsulated with
non-conducting plastic materials, usually PVC or polyethylene, to impart
protection to users and the surrounding environment.
PVC cables are major equipment for transmission & distribution of electrical
power. They are suitable for use in substations, distribution systems,
Industrial installations, house wiring and street lighting. PVC insulated
wires and cables are the ultimate medium for distribution of electricity.
PVC cables manufacturing process is simple. The business can be initiated
as small and medium scale basis.
Registration & License: Register your business with ROC. Obtain Trade
License from Municipal Authority. Apply for VAT Registration. Protect your
brand name with Trademark registration. Apply for Udyog Aadhaar MSME
Registration. Obtain BIS Certification. A pollution-free manufacturing
operation. Waste minimization of PVC compound to strictly adhere. Apply
for ‘No Objection Certificate’ from your state Pollution Control Board.
ETDC, ER TL, R TC, Electrical Research & Development Association Vadodara
is the major development & testing centers for this product. Entrepreneurs
venturing in the field of PVC cables manufacturing can seek any help for
testing of their products.
1. PVC Extruder and Wire Coating Machine 50 mm complete with cooling through
supply stand take up unit control panel with Automatic Temperature indicator
controller and electrical motors.
2. Cable Printing Machine, Wire Straightening equipment
3. Measuring & Coiling Machine, Extrusion Dies, NOZZLES etc.
4. Spark Tester, Vernier Micrometer.
5. Travelling Microscope 0.100 mm least count 0.001 magnification 10X
6. Chemical Balance 0.200 gm Least measure 0.1 mg
7. Kalvin’s Double Bridge, Tensile testing machine
8. Electrically heater thermostatically controlled Air cooled Oven
9. Pressure test apparatus (for Hot deformation)
10. High Voltage test set AC (0 to 10 KV)
Raw Material for PVC Cables Manufacturing: E.C. Grade Aluminium Wire, PVC
Compound (Cable Grade) and packaging consumables. The raw materials can be
procured either from a wholesale market or from the manufacturer of the
PVC Cables Manufacturing Process: Copper conductor (wire) of the required
size is fed into the Extruder wherein PVC is coated on the wire to the
specified thickness. The extruded wire after passing through the cooling
tank is coiled on the take off system. The wire is coiled into the length
of 100 meters and tested as per IS specification.
Insulation is strict as per National and International specification. PVC
cables are available as a Thermoplastic dielectric. PVC cables use PVC
compound that takes care of overload and short circuit currents with both
coarse and fine protection systems.
Laying up: Cores are tested on the line during production both for the
physical and electric characteristic. For multi-core cables, cores are
laid upon a latest laying machine, equipped with sector correction equipment.
Laid up cables are provided with insulation of high-quality, PVC polymer
which is softer than outer sheath and are compatible with the temperature
rating of the cables. Cables are provided with PVC/polymer outer sheath with
various characteristics of sheathing compounds.
The final step is testing: Cables are undergone the following tests:
1. Conductor resistant test,
2. Thickness of thermoplastic and elastomeric insulation and sheath,
3. Tensile strength and elongation at break of thermoplastic and
elastomeric insulation and sheath,
4. Thermal ageing in the air, Shrinkage Test, Ozone resistant Test.
5. Heat shock Test, Hot deformation Test, Bleeding Test.
6. Cold impact Test, Water absorption test (electrical)
7. Environmental stress cracking test
Quality Control & Standards For PVC Cables Manufacturing
The Bureau of Indian Standard has laid down specifications:
1. IS: 694 – 1977 PVC insulated cables for working voltage up to and
including 100 volts (second revision)
2. IS: 5831 – 1970 PVC insulation & sheath of Electric Cables.
3. IS: 8130 – 1976 Conductors for insulated Electric Cables and flexible coils.